1 November 2011


For many decorative painters Charleston Farmhouse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_Farmhouse in Sussex will probably be one of the most inspirational places they will ever visit. Duncan Grant and Vanessa Bell painted there from about 1916 onwards painting not only canvases but also the furniture and the walls in all manner of delightful inspiring and inventive ways. Look at the walls and the fireplace surround above in studio.
Part of a door painted in 1917 by Vanessa Bell ( sister of Virginia Woolf)
The colours and the immediacy of the paintwork is something I aspire too.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Annie, I'.m from Argentina and would like to use your paint , but don't find it. Love the colors and also imagine the texture in furniture, hope to buy in the States on my next trip. Julia C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie - I have that image of the painted door saved in my files - absolutely LOVE it! So inspirational.

    ReplyDelete